THE victim of a serious assault in Ballarat North has no recollection of the incident and few “vague” memories of life beforehand, a jury has been told.
Nanjing Night Net

A statement made by Robert Linane was read out in the County Court in Ballarat yesterday, telling of his life since he was bashed in his own home on March 6 last year.

Robert Wayne Jeffrey, 51, stands accused of the assault, and has pleaded not guilty to charges including intentionally causing serious injury and aggravated burglary.

Crown prosecutor Wendy Duncan read the statement to the jury, in which Mr Linane said his earliest memory was of waking up in hospital.

“I do not recall why I was in hospital. I have since been told I was the victim of an assault,” the statement read.

“I have only vague memories of my life before I was in hospital.

“I have no memory of the assault.”

Dr Angela Harper, who examined Mr Linane less than 48 hours after the assault, told the jury Mr Linane was lucky to be alive.

“(The injuries) would have been fatal without medical treatment,” she said.

“All injuries including his eyeball being displaced forward … all would have been the result of a blunt force.”

Two of Mr Linane’s neighbours also took to the witness box yesterday.

One said she saw four men walk up Mr Linane’s driveway around the time of the assault. She said they were all bigger than Mr Linane and that one was wearing a checkered shirt and had a plaited ponytail.

A second neighbour said he heard a “commotion” out the front of Mr Linane’s house prior to the assault.

He said he remembered hearing someone yelling to give their daughter’s handbag back, and seeing a man with what looked like a cricket bat. He said he also heard glass breaking.

In her evidence on Tuesday, Mr Linane’s partner Leanne Lawson told the jury that the couple had been at their Walker Street home on March 6 when Jeffrey and three others allegedly walked in.

She said the intruders went to find Mr Linane while she ran out the front of the house and called triple-zero.

She said she could hear screaming and banging before Jeffrey and the others left the house.

When she went to check on her partner, she said he was lying over the back door barely breathing and with one eye hanging out of his head.

The trial before Judge Tony Howard continues.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.